Compost-A-Mat Farrowing Mats
The Compost-A-Mat farrowing mat measures 30” x 36”, and is made from at least 50% corn stalks that are heated to over 375 degrees providing a pig pathogen free mat for piglets to lie on. One mat is designed to provide laying room between two crates.
Guide for Using Compost-A-Mat
- Place one mat under pen divider and pull to back of crate.
- Center the heatlamp over the mat.
- Adjust heat lamp to keep mat at 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Make sure that the sows or gilts cannot reach the mat or they will chew on it and decrease the life of the Compost-A-Mat.
- Place the mats for gilts and P1’s just prior to farrowing to prevent chewing.
- Mats can be used alone or can be placed over top of another mat especially in the case of scouring piglets.
- Mat will last approximately 7-21 days.
- Healthy pigs are more active and the mat will last approximately 7-10 days. A new mat is not necessary after that.
- Challenged pigs may have mats that last up to 21 days because they are not as active.
- After use, mats should be picked up and disposed of properly.
- Feedback programs - Used mats can provide an excellent source of feedback material when torn into small, hand-sized pieces and mixed into your feedback material.
- Compost - Old, used mats may be added to your compost pile.